Survivor Leaders at Shared Hope THIS YEAR!
This October, the largest anti-human trafficking conference of the year convened in New Orleans hosted by Shared Hope International. It was an incredible event and one that will go down in history for RBI. Not only was Rebecca the keynote and delivered an inspiring message on collaboration, appreciating each other’s roles in this fight and not minimizing our gifts – but 14 graduates from Elevate were speakers too.
We wanted to highlight some amazing survivor leaders who have all been a part of our Elevate Academy and we were honored and excited to see them move beyond their story, to share their personal expertise and their niche in the field. Last year, 3 graduates from the Elevate Academy were speakers, this year 14!
Survivor Leadership is a valuable and important part of this movement and each person offers an important part based on their specific type of exploitation as well as all the areas in the field that they work, serve and have gained professional and academic experience in. Please consider booking them for your next event or consulting service.
1. HOW TO COLLABORATE WITH SURVIVORS WITHOUT RE-EXPLOITING THEM
Survivor Leader & CEO, AngelsGoToWork
2. UNSEEN: FAMILIAL TRAFFICKING, TRAUMA AND RECOVERY
Human Trafficking Advocate, Youth Advocate Programs
3. TRAUMA INFORMED ESCAPE
Survivor Leader, Founding Director: RockStarr Ministries
4. EMPOWERMENT THROUGH EMPLOYMENT: THE MISSING PIECE
Survivor-Mentor, Delores Barr Weaver Policy Center
5. TRAFFICKING IN THE LGBTQ COMMUNITY
Survivor Advocate, Author
6. EMPOWERING THE SURVIVOR VOICE
Successor Executive Director, Veronica’s Voice – Magdalene KC
7. HEALTH CARE AND HUMAN TRAFFICKING: PROVIDING VICTIM-CENTERED, TRAUMA-INFORMED CARE
8. MENTAL HEALTH PROVIDERS: TREATMENT ISSUES, COLLABORATION AND NETWORKING
Emily Waters, PhDc, LCSW, MPA
Director of Human Trafficking, The Safe Center – Nassau County
9. MENTAL HEALTH PROVIDERS: TREATMENT ISSUES, COLLABORATION AND NETWORKING
Toni McKinley, LPC
Director of Therapeutic Service, The Refuge for DMST
10. BEST REHABILITATION PRACTICES FOR WORKING WITH FEMALE SURVIVORS OF COMMERCIAL SEXUAL EXPLOITATION
Danielle Freitag, LADC
Action 169 Co-founding Director, Survivor Advocate, Speaker
11. INTEGRATING NARRATIVE PHOTOGRAPHY INTO THERAPEUTIC PROGRAMMING & COMPLEX TRAUMA AND HUMAN TRAFFICKING
Jessa Dillow Crisp
Co-founder & E.D. of BridgeHope
12. COMPLEX TRAUMA AND HUMAN TRAFFICKING
President & Founder, Game Over
13. THE #1 OBSTACLE TO SUCCESSFUL MENTORING AND ADVOCACY
Survivor Advocate & Elevate Director, RBI
14. SO YOU WANT TO BE A SPEAKER? & HOW TO USE SURVIVORS AS EXPERTS DURING TRIAL AND INVESTIGATION.
There were more survivor speakers than ever before and over 33 Elevate students got to attend the conference this year. This was just a snippet of the Elevate Graduates speaking topics. As you can see from their titles, most of these women run their own orgs and have professional degrees and continue to get mentored into the next steps for their lives.
Feel free to check out the entire program here and make sure you put it on your calendar for next year because they sell out fast! http://www.justconference.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/SharedHopeInternational_JuST-Conference2017-AGENDA.pdf
Elevate Academy continues to help survivors take their lives to the next level. 2018 we have plans to roll out six five-week modules, that’s 30 hours of training! This helps survivors find deeper levels of healing, cast dreams and visions for their future, partner with a coach and peer mentors to help them make tangible steps to reach those goals including: finding and developing your platform, speaking and writing, non-profit start-up, advocacy and how to work with law enforcement and on cases. Elevate also helps with job readiness, business etiquette, leadership and personal relationship skills. If you are wanting to partner to help survivors take their lives to the next level, please consider a monthly or one-time gift.
To learn more about Elevate Academy, please visit www.rebeccabender.org/elevate